We're thrilled to celebrate Mashable's fifth annual Social Media Day in Chicago! Mashable launched the event in 2010 as a way to recognize the digital revolution happening right before our eyes. We invite you to join fellow social media enthusiasts by attending Social Media Day Chicago on June 30.
View the photos from Social Media Day in Chicago 2014
When: Monday June 30, 2014 from 6pm to 8pm
Where: Rockit Bar & Grill
* Billy Dec - Emmy Award Winning Entertainment TV Personality, Attorney and CEO/Founder of Rockit Ranch Productions, Chicago's premier hospitality & entertainment development company, specializing in the creation, marketing and management of some of the city's top venues including Rockit Bar & Grill, Sunda, Underground, Bottlefork, Rockit Burger Bar, AY CHIWOWA!
* Nancy Loo - Reporter/Fill-in Anchor at WGN-TV
* AnnMarie Walsh - Formerly homeless Individual and Advocate, Public Speaker
* Ramon De Leon - Global Business & Social Media Keynote Speaker. WOM SuperGenius. Sr. Social Strategist at @RiseInteractive
* Jeff Willinger, President, Social Media Club Chicago and Director of Social Business, Rightpoint
* Andrew Caravella, Vice President, Marketing at Sprout Social, Inc.
* Meghan Ristau - Internet Marketing Specialist, Lou Malnati's Pizzerias
Panel Discussion on Social Media and B2B Markeing with Steve Krull:
* Adam Bleibtreu - CMO, Creative Circle
* Grant Crowell - Video Strategist, YouTube & SlideShare Manager (Contractor), CDW
* Emily Krebs - Small Business Account Representative, T-Mobile
* Colleen Dunn - Community Manager, Rockit Ranch Productions
Panel Discussion on getting social with Donut Shops with Andrew Violette:
* Gabriel Wiesen - Beavers Coffee & Donuts
* Jessi DiBartolomeo - Social Media Manager and Event Coordinator, Doughnut Vault
* Kristi Koszewski - Social Media Manager, Francesca's Restaurant Group/Glazed & Infused
* Tessa Groll - Social Media Manager, Dinkel's Bakery
Twitter hashtag is: #SMDChicago
These are photos from Social Media Day Chicago 2013
Check for updates on Social Media Day Chicago 2014
For more information or questions about Social Media Day Chicago 2014 contact:
Todor Krecu - Founder of Chicago Social Media Marketing Group - tkrecu(@)gmail.com
Learn more about Social Media Day Chicago 2014
Chicago Social Media Person of the Year Hall of Fame
Chicago Social Media Person of the Year 2013
Nancy Loo - Reporter/Fill-in Anchor at WGN-TV
Chicago Social Media Person of the Year 2012
AnnMarie Walsh - Formerly homeless Individual and Advocate, Public Speaker
Chicago Social Media Person of the Year 2011
Ramon De Leon - Global Business & Social Media Keynote Speaker. WOM SuperGenius. Sr. Social Strategist at @RiseInteractive
If you would like to sponsor this event or have questions, contact Todor Krecu: tkrecu(@)gmail.com
Join the community page on Social Media Day Chicago 2014
Using social media as a form of marketing has taken on whole new challenges. As the 2010 Trust Study indicates, it is most effective if marketing efforts through social media revolve around the genuine building of authority. Someone performing a "marketing" role within a company must honestly convince people of their genuine intentions, knowledge, and expertise in a specific area or industry through providing valuable and accurate information on an ongoing basis without a marketing angle overtly associated. If this can be done, trust with, and of, the recipient of that information - and that message itself - begins to develop naturally. This person or organization becomes a thought leader and value provider - setting themselves up as a trusted "advisor" instead of marketer. "Top of mind awareness" develops and the consumer naturally begins to gravitate to the products and/or offerings of the authority/influencer.
According to a report by Nielson "In the U.S. alone, total minutes spent on social networking sites has increased 83 percent year-over-year. In fact, total minutes spent on Facebook increased nearly 700 percent year-over-year, growing from 1.7 billion minutes in April 2008 to 13.9 billion in April 2009, making it the No. 1 social networking site for the month."
The main increase in social media has been Facebook. It was ranked as the number one social networking site. Approximately 100 million users access this site through their mobile phone. According to Nielsen, global consumers spend more than 6 hours on social networking sites.